2). Do you agree with Marshall McLuhand that the medium is the message, i.e. that the format or logic of a medium is as important as its content, and, in fact, determines what content will be broadcast through that channel? Evaluate his idea that television is a cool medium.
I think that the idea that the medium is the message is an interesting idea, but I am not sure I totally agree with the concept. I do think that the medium does make a difference on weather or not the message will be received among different groups of people. I think that people like my parents who read the newspaper daily will receive the message in that medium, better than my sister and I who do not read the newspaper. Therefore we ignore the message, because we dont read it. But I think we would receive the message through a different medium, like the internet and television and we would essentially get the same message.
When the text book was discussing television as a cool medium, it mentioned that people have who have grown up on watching television, were used to the fast paces barrage of information, and that they can get bored from other mediums that do not have pictorial and dramatic stimuli. I find this to be true for my self and I have found myself feeling that I am not getting the information I want fast enough from other mediums.
No comments:
Post a Comment