Sunday, July 1, 2012

Although i have never experienced serious culture shock,after reading about it i kind of remember experiencing something that was pretty close to it. I grew up and attendend school in the Los Gatos, Campbell, Saratoga area which was predominantly white. My schools, had childeren from all different cultures, and ehtinicities, but we never had gang issues or things like that. My Mother was ateacher in the East Side Union Highschool district. One summer right before i stated highschool, she signed me up for a math class that was supposed to prepare me for highschool math. The class was at her school Yerba Buena. The school mostly consisted of kids that were hispanic and asian. When I went there I soon found out that I was the only white kid on campus. I felt a little out of place, because we werent allowed to wear anything red or blue, and i was nervous that I might say something that was wrong or gang affiliated. I wondered to myself if the other kids at the school, thought it was weird tht i was there, or if they didnt even notice. I was open to being friends with people and I made friends with the kids in my class but i hung out in my moms office at lunch beacuse i didnt really know where else to go. It was and interesting experience and to me its the closest i have been to culture shock.

No comments:

Post a Comment